Use Case - Financial Holds
Students with a financial hold are often blocked from registering for classes and are at high risk of dropping out. Institutions sometimes waive the holds with retention grants, but students end up in the same place again.
How to implement:
- Use Arbol to assess a student’s financial fit for an emergency grant
- Make financial coaching required to prevent recurrence
- Triage larger needs outside of the scope of the emergency fund to financial aid
- Leverage success data to show stewardship and raise more funds
- Financial Coaching Sessions
- Financial Health Tracking
Who is involved:
- Student Accounts
- Reduction in repeat holds
- Improved stewardship
- Recovered lost tuition revenue
Villa Maria College used Arbol to help assess which students were the best candidates to receive retention grants and provide financial coaching to prevent recurrence. Their institution was able to raise $40K to expand this effort from strategic donors.
SUNY Erie used Arbol’s financial health assessments to prioritize their queue of students with a hold and required students to participate in coaching sessions. The institution successfully helped 20 students register for classes.
All 20 persisted to the next semester without encountering a financial hold.